Friday, February 14, 2014

But so much of success in life is about consistency and routine

The freaking habits that i’m reluctantly adapting to…..
I don’t think that i am fully interested in writing in this class yet, especially when I barely have learned anything useful from what I’ve been reading….Classes, like Literary Journalism, working on a particular piece of writing nearly takes me f . o . r . e . v . e . r….. it’s crazy that i’m forced to be sitting in for hours, literally half of the day spent sitting in my room just to figure out how to create a piece of writing.
I’ve been fully experiencing that kind of life to be spending time on just trying to put something on a paper. Merely committing to putting words on paper during a period of time is not something I’m born to be skilled in. And it frustrates me so much when whatever is written is so badly that I can let no one read it. It is..very exhausting for me. Sitting in the chair for hours….just to figure out many different ways to have my words show up on the paper… and to be repeatedly reading, observing, interpreting, and all of this is like being trapped in a room for ten hours alone, although I feel completely okay to be isolated. I sit around a lot even with hella distraction on the internet and phone, I get back to pondering. So tired.
I look at the blank screen until my eyes hurts. I want to write laying down in bed like Truman Capote, one of the famous writer. The things that I must do to help me go through these process throughout the day I could only make food, walk around in the kitchen and make more food. Eat by my laptop instead of the kitchen table. Shower or shit. Then get back on the typing grind. 
What kind of life is this..
Truman Capote. The author of “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” and “In Cold Blood.” He said he had to write lying down, in bed or on a couch, with a cigarette and coffee. The coffee would switch to tea, then sherry, then martinis, as the day wore on. He wrote his first and second drafts in longhand, in pencil. And even his third draft, would be done in bed.. 
What kind of life is this..  i feel pretty crazy to be going through this life style.. like what am I really doing here… and these famous writer consider rewriting their work as part of the writing process, with all those different habits to get through the day, and that they focus on putting the time in rather than the quality of what they write. 
Karen Russell: “Enjoy writing badly.” In an interview with The Daily Beast, she talks about her daily struggle to overcome distraction and write…
I know many writers who try to hit a set word count every day, but for me, time spent inside a fictional world tends to be a better measure of a productive writing day. I think I’m fairly generative as a writer. I can produce a lot of words, but volume is not the best metric for me. It’s more a question of, did I write for four or five hours of focused time, when I did not leave my desk, didn’t find some distraction to take me out of the world of the story? Was I able to stay put and commit to putting words down on the page, without deciding mid-sentence that it’s more important to check my email, or “research” some question online, or clean out the science fair projects in the back for my freezer?
I’ve decided that the trick is just to keep after it for several hours, regardless of your own vacillating assessment of how the writing is going. Showing up and staying present is a good writing day.
I think it’s bad so much of the time. The periods where writing feels effortless and intuitive are, for me, as I keep lamenting, rare. But I think that’s probably the common ratio of joy to despair for most writers, and I definitely think that if you can make peace with the fact that you will likely have to throw out 90 percent of your first draft, then you can relax and even almost enjoy “writing badly.”
I guess that it is still somewhat encouraging to learn about some people’s routine and their committing to the process consistently. “They possess an incredible willingness to do the work that needs to be done.” Actually, I really think that pretty much explains what it takes to do most anything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment